Monday, February 11, 2008

Idling Away an Afternoon in the Sunshine.


Armed with a few supplies of seed and nuts I visited a couple of car parks in the Forest. it was such a beautiful afternoon to sit in the sun and just watch the birds. By scattering some seed and nuts on a couple of old tree stumps, I was soon surrounded and entertained by our feathered friends.
I really like the cute little coal tits. In the Secret lives of garden Birds by Dominic Couzens and PeterPartington ( A lighthearted read if you like to know more about birds) they say that the poor little coal tit is mobbed and bullied by the great and Blue tits on average every 3 minutes of the day so every time they got a seed or nut I cheered them on! All too soon it was time to go home and I had to drag myself away from their antics but there is always tomorrow.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

awwww - poor coal tits - :( they're cute :)lovely pics mary - your camera zoom & focus is really good!

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

There always seems to be a bully in the neighborhood. ;-) What a cute bird this is.

Anonymous said...

Aha, I wondered what your secret was for getting so many great close up shots of wild birds! They always fly away when I try. :)

Kingsdowner said...

Great blog - have you a special place for feeding the birds, so that they come to you?

Mary said...

Kingsdowner we were just in a car park in The New Forest. it was fairly busy with cars and walkers/dogs coming and going. it a popular car park as there is a pond as well. i think people regularly leave seed for them and they are use to it.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary, I love the post where you put all the birds names under them and your Robin is so pretty and different from our Robin. Thanks for all the names of the various birds. Happy Valentines to you and the doggies.

Mo said...

I can never get coal tits to stay still long enough to get a decent photo of them. Well done, lovely chap. I love "The Secret Lives of Garden Birds". It's fascinating. The follow up "The Secret Lives of British Birds" is pretty good too.