Monday, February 25, 2008

Nuthatch (Sitta europaea)

Nuthatches are small birds not much bigger than a Great Tit. You can sometimes here them hammering nuts on trees. They can come and go frequently to bird tables because they often collect nuts to store. They nest in holes in trees and they plaster mud around the entrance to deter larger birds from entering. This bird is one of very few will run down as well as up trees, and is the only British bird that habitually does this.Nuthatches seldom wander far from their place of birth.
I took these photos today and couldn't decide which one to post..hence the post about Nuthatches!

4 comments:

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

Beautiful! I love how the nuthatches walk upside down.

brucesc said...

I didn't realize you had red-breasted nuthatches in Britain too. I had two at my feeders this year for the first time. They are usually more in the north of the US. We have white-breasted and brown-headed year round though. Your pictures are excellent.

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

We mostly see the white breasted nuthatches here in the northeastern US, but in recent years I have been visited by the pretty red breasted ones, too, and I'm always excited to see them!

Jan said...

I love the nuthatches. Sadly another species that has gone missing from my garden now since (a) the trichomonias outbreak here or (b) the council felling all the trees bar on along my boundary bank. I used to have a fairly tame little one who would come on the windowsill pot for his food, or hang on the peanut feeder close by me up by the aviary. I could cry that they took ALL the trees, I was hoping they would leave the hawthorn which wasn't causing any problem, but they ripped it all out. :(