Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Abbotsbury Swannery


Abbotsbury Swannery conserves the only manged colony of nesting Mute swans in the world.Mute Swans are usually fiercely territorial by nature and it is therefore rare to see so many nesting swans in such close proximity to each other.but there are up to 150 pairs on a 2acre nesting site.There are often more than 600 adult swans on the site. In England the crown claims ownership of Mute swans with only three exceptions one of which is Abbotsbury. In1543 the Strangways family was given the right to claim ownership of all the nesting swans on the site and the family still own the swannery today,

2 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

i'll be popping in there in June

Sandpiper (Lin) said...

This is beautiful. I enjoyed your previous posts, too. We lost one of our nesting adults a couple of weeks ago. For the past couple of years, on each visit, he would make a beeline across the pond to see me and then just gather vegetation near me. When I went there expecting to visit with him, I saw him lying on the water on his side. The Mama swan is still sitting on the nest. I feel so sad for the swans... and for me too, for having lost a little friend.