Saturday, June 14, 2008

Royden Woods

On Thursday we decided to go for a walk in Roydon woods, on the way we stopped to take some photos of the lesser butterfly orchids growing by the road.
When we got to the woods we walked along the gravel track and surprised som e fallow does grazing in the fields. Roydon woods is a Nature reserve in the forest managed by the Hampshire Wildlife trust, there are several ponds which we didn;t find and you can get down to the beaulieu River,

Roydon Manor is still privately owned and sits on the edge of the reserve.
A green woodpecker was sitting on a post across the field, but I was pleased to get a photo of him in the distance.It is the first time I have, although they are very common in the forest and you often hear their distinctive yaffle call and see them flying overhead,

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder what life is like in a Manor like this :-)

pilgrimchick said...

Lovely pictures, and clearly, lots of company there, too.

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary,
I am the Marketing Officer at the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust and have just seen the lovely pictures you have put on your blog from Roydon Woods.
I was just wondering if you would mind us have a copy of these picture for our records.
Kindest regards
Abi Jarvis

Mo said...

Great getting the shot of the green woodpecker. I've never actually seen one. I used to hear one calling all the time in woods we visited when I was young but never ever got a glimpse of it.

Mary said...

Hi Abi
I would be happy for you to have copies of these photos as long as they are not used for commercial purposes without crediting them to me. If you send me an email address i will forward the original sizes to you as they will be better quality
I am a member of the Wildlife Trust and enjoy Roydon Woods just wish their were a few signposts on the site so we didn't always get lost!

Mary